Reviving a 19 Year Old Gameboy Emulator
Back in 2014 I was messing around with the idea of converting Gameboy .GBS soundtracks into Amiga .MOD files for a game I was doing. If you don't know what a .GBS file is, it's basically just a Gameboy ROM with z80 code but with the graphics routines and gameplay stripped out, so it's just the sound driver and music data, so in order to play it back you essentially have to emulate the full Gameboy processor and sound chip. At the time I was sort of infatuated with FreePascal and Lazarus, and wanted to find a Gameboy emulator written in Pascal that I could maybe yank the CPU and sound code from.
Somehow after scavenging over a bunch of old forum posts, I found (apparently) the only Gameboy emulator written in Pascal, ever: UGE. It was written by a guy named Christian Hackbart and released in 2000, and the only available download was from a mirror on Zophar's Domain. I started it up, loaded a ROM, was met with some ear-piercing noise, and then the emulator crashed. I canned the project pretty shortly after and that was that.
Fast-forward 5 years and I had the idea for another project centered around the Gameboy's sound system, and was inspired to go dig up the old code again and maybe see if I could fix it-- after all, it might be a good learning exercise to fix this thing up, and I wouldn't be completely shamelessly stealing someone else's work.